Free short Webinar: Introduction to descriptive statistics, Mar 8, 2017
This is an elearning free session that lasts one hour. No need to step out of your office to attend!
The class includes a presentation as well as a 10-minute long Q&A session.
Introduction to descriptive statistics - 1 hour
Data analysis tools can be grouped into several categories, each category aiming at answering a certain type of questions associated to a certain type of data. Descriptive statistics allow to summarize information contained in datasets using simple numbers such as the mean or the standard deviation; and charts such as box plots and scatter plots. This Webinar presents descriptive statistical features with applications using the XLSTAT statistical software.
- A few definitions: descriptive statistics, variable, individual
- Describing one qualitative variable: mode, flat sorting, pie charts
- Describing the link between two qualitative variables: cross tabulation (contingency table)
- Describing one quantitative variable: mean, standard deviation, median, quartiles, box plots
- Describing the link between one quantitative variable & one qualitative variable: multiple box plots
- Describing the link between two quantitative variables: scatter plot
- 1 quantitative var. x 1 quantitative var. x 1 qualitative var.: scatter plot with colored points
Senior statistics consultant
Jean-Paul Maalouf is a senior statistics consultant working at Addinsoft since 2014. He holds a PhD in biology and has a substantial experience in teaching statistics, an activity he has been intensively practicing since 2012. His training beneficiaries include major French research institutes (INRA, CNRS, INSERM, CIRAD, several universities) as well as private companies around the world. His teaching methods rely on explaining statistical tools conceptually rather than mathematically. Statistics become very easy to understand for the users who do not necessarily have experience in mathematics and need to become operational very quickly.